Re: Three strikes and your out? Charlie Hathaway 28 Jan 1999 16:05 EST

Tim-

For 3 strikes rule, see:
http://www.nih.gov/grants/guide/1997/97.06.27/notice-nih-policy-on7.html

Grants are not submitted to different study sections or institutes...rather
they all go to the CSR.
Therefore, it is not really acceptable to send the same application again.
You could change the title and it might work.  But chances are that the
science is suspect and it should really be heavily revised. I hate to say
it, but "proposal was timely, staffing was adequate" sounds like those nice
weak phrases between which one should read "FORGET IT".

Charlie

At 03:31 PM 1/28/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a faculty member whose proposal to the Maternal Child and Health
>(MCB) at NIH, in three attempts, did not pass review.  Now on his third
>review, the comments which came back indicated that his proposal was
>timely, staffing was adequate, etc. - all the right marks for potential
>funding.  He seemed to think the reasons for the turn down were minor in
>perspective.  He's heard from several members in his department that he
>can no longer submit after a third time. Anyway, the question I have is
>this: can he resubmit to another branch of NIH in the same format or is
>he prohibited from doing so? Will he have to re-write completely and
>tailor it to the a particular branch?  And, is there  any specific
>guideline that cites "three strikes and your out"?
>
>Thanks for any guidance.
>
>Tim
>
>Attachment Converted: "C:\ALNET_WS\EUDORA\Attach\vcard.vcf"

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
908A Belfer
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs