Re: Grant/cash transfer Herbert B. Chermside 25 Jan 1999 09:48 EST

Yes, this is one reasonable way to handle it.

Consider if the transfer were going away from you, and you cannot know the
exact outstanding fiscal activity.  You do not want to be left holding the
bag, so you overestimate a little.  You cannot keep the overage, because
your grant was cost reiumbursement.

In this case the sponsor has a "handle it once only" policy.  So either the
$ reverts to them, they do nothing, and it finally reverts to OMB -- OR --
you send it to the new insititution, for use on the specific program only
(and the PI doesn't get screwed out of some of her hard sought funding).

In this case you're on the receiving end, and can make that PI happy by
saying, "Look what we found to add to your present budget!

Good Hinting!!

Chuck

At 09:18 AM 1/25/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Here's one for you all:
>
>A faculty member came to us from another university.
>We transferred three NSF awards.  When the old institution
>estimated the delayed expenses associated with the grant,
>they over estimated.  They ended up with balances on the
>accounts when all the bills were in.  I called NSF and was
>told that they do not get involved in changing the amounts
>of grants that have been transferred.  I was told to work
>it out with the old institution to have the funds transferred
>from the old institution to the new institution.
>
>Have any of you had experience with this?
>
>Ruth Tallman
>Lehigh University
>Office of Research
>xxxxxx@lehigh.edu