Re: query Mike McCallister 21 Jan 1999 12:23 EST

Yes, I was across the state.  Southwest is a pretty nice little school and
I like the town, OK, although that part of the world is sort of crazy--
lots of militias, etc.  Make sure you go see the sights (this means
Bassworld or whatever it is-- a HUGE fishing store).

Alter is an OK guy, if a bit tightly wound.  i think he's retired military
and doens'thave a real firm grip of the academic world.  that might extend
to the world at large, actually.  The previous person in that slot was a
lady and she left more or less in disgust.  She thought becuase she was
female and the spouse of a afaculty member, they tended to poop on her.
That's probably pretty accurate.  It's not a reallyprogressive place (it IS
Missouri), but as a little state school it's reasonably competitive.
You'll find a pretty wide range of experience and ability, I'm sure.  I
doubt it's real different from your home campus.

As a constulting job it should be satisfying.  They will undoubtably need
what you can offer.  Like any mid-sized place, there are pockets that are
really good and I'd think you'll help them a lot.

Spanky

>Mike, I'm doing a general grants consultation with one of the colleges at
>Southwest Mo. State next week. (I've done lots of USDA Challenge grant
>stuff--proposals, workshops, etc.--, which led to this invitation.)  You used
>to be at Southeast, right?  Do you know Bill Alter, the grants director at
>Southwest?  Can you give me any insight on how that institution works, local
>culture, etc?
>
>Thanks, Bill Campbell
>Director, Grants & Research
>University of Wisconsin-River Falls

>information and a web-searchable archive, are available via our web site
>at http://www.hrinet.org (click on the "Listserv Lists" link).

Mike (Spanky) McCallister, Ph. D.
Director, Research and Sponsored programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 S. University Drive
Little Rock, AR 72204-1099
501-569-8657 (v)