Re: Faculty incentives? Mike McCallister 21 Jan 1999 08:12 EST

Talk to Terry Manns at xxxxxx@csus.edu.  he's got lots of programs and
stuff that he does as incentives.

SPanky

>Hello everyone --
>
>I am trying to find out what other institutions are doing about incentives
>for faculty to write/conduct research.  If you could answer the following
>questions, it would be very helpful to our future direction here.
>
>1)  At IIT, for those faculty on a nine-month academic appointment, they can
>elect to take one month summer salary support from external grant funding.
>Additional compensation for the summer requires one day of the academic year
>charge-off for each day of the summer salary in excess of the first summer
>month up to three summer months of salary (for example, if the faculty
>member has one month of academic year salary covered, they can request two
>summer months).  Does your institution require anything similar?  Or is
>there no restriction (unless the sponsor imposes it) on the number of summer
>months salary requested?
>
>2)  Is any portion of your indirect cost recovery returned to the PI and/or
>the department?  If so, what percentage?
>
>3)  Does your institution have any other incentives for faculty?
>
>Thanks in advance for your help!
>
>- Mary
>Mary T. Spina, CRA
>Director, Sponsored Research
>Illinois Institute of Technology
>3300 South Federal Street, MB301
>Chicago, IL 60616-3793
>Phone:  312.567.3035
>Fax:    312.567.6980
>email:  xxxxxx@charlie.iit.edu

Mike (Spanky) McCallister, Ph. D.
Director, Research and Sponsored programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 S. University Drive
Little Rock, AR 72204-1099
501-569-8657 (v)
501-569-3039 (f)

information and a web-searchable archive, are available via our web site
at http://www.hrinet.org (click on the "Listserv Lists" link).