(no subject) Phyllis Thomas 20 Jan 1999 12:01 EST

From: "Phyllis Thomas" <xxxxxx@gris.grad.uconn.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:32:18 -0500
Subject: CRDA's

Does anyone have experiences negotiating CRDA's that they would
be willing to share?

Some of the problematic issues in the one I'm currently negotiating:
the Airforce Research Lab wants us to pay royalties to use any
intellectual property they alone develop, yet we are expected to grant
them a royalty free license to intellectual property we develop; they
want us to file, at our expense, for patent protection on jointly
owned inventions; if we choose not to file on jointly owned
inventions, we are to assign all rights to them, they will file at
their expense and will allow us to use the invention for research
purposes only, and; there is a clause in the contract that says that
"any proprietary information is exempt from the Freedom of Information
Act", is this legal?  These are the remaining issues - others such as
indemnification, governing law and the payment of royalties to the Air
Force on the sale, lease or rental of copyrights created under the
agreement have been removed, after waiting three months for a response
to memos and phonecalls.

Any insights would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Phyllis A. Thomas
Contracts
University of Connecticut
Research Foundation