Re: Human Subjects question -Reply Farnsworth, Franci 20 Jan 1999 09:17 EST

Michelle -- I put the question to the research administrators list I monitor
and here is the first reply, from my "friend" (I've never met him) Bill
Campbell at Univ Wisconsin-River Falls.   I have a lot of respect for his
opinions and he's been in the research administration game quite awhile.
One reason he says we should count it as HS research is to protect the
institution and I remember that rationale being presented at the first
compliance workshop I ever attended.    Also, the reaction of Nancy Heller
(IRB staff at UVM) was YES (but she's doing some research for me).

So, I guess we better check YES on the NIH form after all and prepare to do
a Single Project Assurance if Bob gets the money.    I'll ask Ann to send
him the paperwork.

Franci