Re: NIH Modular Grants Charlie Hathaway 15 Jan 1999 10:18 EST

Hi-

Pat said:
"I think we also need to be assured that the PI has thought
 about all of his/her costs as a "check" to ensure that the budget matches
 the technical narrative (I get hung up on the A-110 language that says
 the budget is the financial expression of a project).  The institution
 continues to have a responsibility to submit an appropriate application,
 even if NIH doesn't want an itemized budget."

Could anyone comment further on this?

Does "budget" mean a summary of costs planned or actual expenditures?

If NIH asks for a total cost figure based on $25,000 modules, is that not
then the "financial expression" of the project as for as the application is
concerned?  Does the "appropriateness" of the application need to be
defined by more than a reasonable expectation of total costs?

I think that part of the problem here is that for years many successful
researchers and administrators have prided themselves on writing clear and
even elegant budget justifications.  Some have suggested that this part of
the NIH application was key for good review.  If NIH no longer wants this
verbiage, mind sets will have to change.  This will be true from the
laboratory to the study section meeting.  What is really being implemented
here is a system whereby investments are going to be made based on quality
of science and the people performing it with very little attention at the
dollar level to how money will be spent.  Isn't this how GRANTS should be
made?

While it is clear that NIH is shifting much burden from Bethesda to the
grantee institutions, can't we think of ways to also simplify things for
research administrators?
If only 20% of applications receive awards, does it make sense to be
concerned with cost accounting requirements on the other 80%?  Perhaps
pre-award grants management (is this an oxymoron?) could begin
post-IRG/pre-council rather than at time of submission.

Charlie Hathaway

_________________________________
>Subject: NIH Modular Grants
>Author:  Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org> at
>GATEWAY
>Date:    1/14/99 12:37 PM
>

>After the next big NIH deadline on February 1, the new era of modular grants
>is upon us.  I'm wondering if any of you have given thought to how you are
>going to handle these, particularly at the proposal end.  Will you required
>detailed budgets or not?  Are you planning on having any special faculty
>awareness programs regarding the modular grants?  Are you planning on
>putting any special procedures into effect for modular grants?  Or, do you
>just want to get through February 1 and think about modular grants later
>(aka the Scarlett O'hara syndrome, of which I am chronically afflected...)?
>
>Admittedly, the NIH Guide announcement was fairly recent, but I was just
>curious if any of you had given this much thought yet.
>
>Hoping all of you in the cold country are staying warm...
>
>Jane
>
>Jane A. Youngers
>Director
>Office of Grants Management
>University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
>7703 Floyd Curl Drive
>San Antonio TX  78284
>voice:  210-567-2333
>fax: 210-567-2344
>email:  xxxxxx@uthscsa.edu
>

>=============================================================================
>

>=============================================================================

Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
Office of Grant Support
908A Belfer
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Avenue
Bronx, NY 10461
Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu
http://www.aecom.yu.edu/ogs