Re: Policy on Salaries Paid from Grant Funds Gollos, Hal 14 Jan 1999 10:32 EST

Judy:

The way it worked at my old institution (Stanford) was that the University
determines what the max percentage would be, say 3.5%.  Then each
department would take the salaries of all exempt personnel and increase
them by 3.5% and that would be the "pool" of funds they have to distribute
to those personnel.  The same thing would apply to faculty and staff though
the faculty percentage might be a bit more.  The University does not
differentiate
between regular department staff and research staff and they are all
included
in the pool together.

The pool of funds is then distributed over the personnel in the department
as
part of the salary setting process.  Some individuals may get a 5% increase
while others get 1.5% as long as the department does not go over the 3.5%
pool.

One way we would get increases for research assistants was to promote them
from say a LSRA I to a LSRA II however the PI would need to write the
recommendation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Hal Gollos