Re: Small Business Lisa Ballance 11 Jan 1999 08:04 EST

Suzette:

SBA - for low-interest, good probability loans (even if technically in
"the red" because of recent renovations)..

Another option is "free labor" -- Appalachian State has a great Business
School (as you well know), within which there is a well-known
Hospitality and Food Service Management Division ...

A 6 credit internship would give a grad student an opportunity to learn
an inventory system (in practice) and maybe relieve some
bookkeeping-store managment time.  In return, the store gets
approximately 30 hours of assistance.

This actually applies to the RES-ADMN list quite well...  Many of us
have very little staff resources and would benefit from an extra pair of
eyes and hands...  I decided to "test-the-waters" by offering an
graduate internship in my office and the result has been great.  Sure,
there was a bit of effort in getting it started, but after one month of
very specific responsibilities (liason with IRB -- assisting faculty
with IRB) it is GREAT!  And, I might have a better chance in defending a
request for an additional position (if I choose to go that route in the
future).  Also, I recently received a note of from the Vice President,
acknowleding the importance of supporting our students and providing
educational opportunities in the area of research (administration).

Good Luck,

Lisa

S. Mauney wrote:

> I have a question for my fellow colleagues. I apologize
> that this is not related to university "research and
> grants", but I had an inquiry that needs some expertise
> from you grant seekers out there in relation to a
> woman owned small business.
> The inquiry owns a small gourmet foods specialty shop and
> is looking for some funding to keep the business going.
> Operating expenses, salaries, inventory etc... The traffic
> is good now it needs an increase in inventory to meet
> customer needs. A large amount was invested into renovation
> and an inventory system. Does anyone have any advise for
> Women and Small Businesses? Does anyone know where I could
> direct the inquiry for Federal assistance? Can anyone
> suggest a foundation that will support a for-profit
> organization?
> Thanks for any response!!!
>
> ----------------------
> Suzette S. Mauney
> Appalachian State University
> Assistant Director, Sponsored Programs
> (704)262-2694*fax(704)262-2709
> xxxxxx@appstate.edu

Lisa Richman Ballance, Adm. Director
VCU Institute for Clinical Trials and Outcomes Research
Medical College of Virginia of Virginia Commonwealth University
xxxxxx@hsc.vcu.edu
804-225-4991
804-827-0087 fax