Re: Publication 'approval' Herbert B. Chermside 25 Nov 1998 09:16 EST

At VCU we have no written policy.  For over 15 years our practice has been
that we will not accept any control of content other than checking for
inadvertant disclosure of proprietary information and inspection for
possible unreported/unprotected inventions.  We will allow a no-publish
clause up front (not after the results have been seen), but only for senior
faculty members or, for junior faculty members, the explicit approval of
chair and occasionally, dean (judgement call).  We're protecting the junior
faculty member's right to publish over the interest of getting funded
because of how P&T works, but an established professor can make up his own
mind.

Stop and consider the reason for control.  If it is to prohibit disclosing
unpalatable results, STOP RIGHT THERE!  If there is a reasonable commercial
reason, compare it to your principles and practices.  Maybe timing is
important, e.g., a study developing information that is input to a policy
decision might be delayed until after the decision is made.

Chuck

At 09:01 AM 11/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I have been asked by our dean's office to gather information about whether
>other colleges or universities will accept agreements from industry which
>allow industry/government the right of approval on publications.  One
>example of this is a subcontract from industry containing the federal DFARS
>clause at 252.204-7000 Disclosure of information.
>
>I would appreciate as many responses as possible - please email, fax or call.
>
>Thanks!
>-Norm
>Norman J. Hebert, Associate Director
>Office of Research Administration