Re: course buyouts Ruth Tallman 25 Nov 1998 08:53 EST

Elaine,

I don't have any suggestions for a different formula, but I think an
institutional policy IS a good idea.  Remember: Consistency,
Consistency, Consistency!

Ruth

Ruth Tallman
Office of Research
Lehigh University

-----Original Message-----
From:   Lilly, Elaine M. [SMTP:xxxxxx@STTHOMAS.EDU]
Sent:   Tuesday, November 24, 1998 7:22 PM
To:     xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject:        course buyouts

I need to get unstuck and so I turn to this dynamic network for advice.  Lo
these many years, I have cheerfully used "% time" calculations based "de
facto" on course release (e.g., 1/4 release  = 1/4 contract salary and
faculty member teaches 3/4 load, 1/4  typically replaced by adjunct
faculty; "other issues" get resolved at the department level).  But I was in

a collective bargaining environment.
I had never been placed in the middle of a discussion about what
ELSE reduction in load means.  Until now.  A faculty member wants
institutional policy about what release time means in terms of service
(etc.) -- OR
wants cheaper buyout if the same non-teaching responsibilities are met.
Does
anybody have a more sophisticated way of calculating "% time" or some good
advice for me?  (This is an undergraduate faculty member at a private
university.)
I have some thoughts, but none of them lead me to support an administrative
policy on an issue I'd think departments would want to handle...
and could do so more appropriately!!

Help?

Elaine M. Lilly, Ph.D. ** Faculty Grants Coordinator
* * * University of St. Thomas  **  Mail #5045 * * *
* * 2115 Summit Avenue ** St. Paul MN 55105-1096 * *
PH 651-962-6038 FAX 962-5406 ** xxxxxx@stthomas.edu
VISIT THE FGO HOME PAGE: http://www.stthomas.edu/fgo