(no subject) Herbert B. Chermside 25 Nov 1998 08:35 EST

First question:  who owns the copyright?  (Our IP policy would very
frequently make the (C) the faculty member's, not the univeristy's.)  If it
is faculty-owned (the words you used), why is the university interested?

I am told that commercially, the fee for use (cost of forms, whatever) is
on a per use basis until you get to a volume where deals can be negotiated.
 If the insitituion has an interest in gaining revenue from a (C) it owns,
go to your Tech Transfer Officer for guidance.

Suggestion: don't get into the sales business: license to a for-profit.
The sam would apply to the service business where the service is
scoring/interpreting a test that was administered by others (another way of
handling the revenue problem).

Chuck

At 06:23 PM 11/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Here comes my first question posted to the group!
>
>We have a few faculty copyrighted surveys that are being requested
>externally, by other researchers, and by for profit companies.  The issue of
>charging others a small "fee", above the cost of duplication and mailing,
>has come up and is being debated by faculty and administration.
>
>Presuming you charge for surveys, do you scale fees based on users or use of
>product?  Do you charge on a "per use" basis?  Do you have a sense of how
>much to charge for using these surveys, or how much the market will bear?
>Our investigators have differing opinions, ranging from strong feelings
>against "profiting" on the results of scientific inquiry, to believing this
>is a standard practice that we are not implementing.
>
>Any direction or comments are appreciated.

>Meghan Carter
>Deputy Administrator
>Health Policy and Management, School of Public Health
>Johns Hopkins University
>xxxxxx@jhsph.edu
>

>=============================================================================

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA