Re: Cost-share in Dept. of Ed grants Pfaff, Joyce M. 24 Nov 1998 10:54 EST

Don't do it.  If the space is in your indirect base you can't use it as cost
share.  And remember, you need to be able to DOCUMENT all cost sharing!
Good luck.

-----Original Message-----
From: Farnsworth, Franci [mailto:xxxxxx@JAGUAR.MIDDLEBURY.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, November 24, 1998 9:08 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Cost-share in Dept. of Ed grants

OK all you Dept. of Education experts -- please help!

I'm working on a budget for an Eisenhower grant, which will come to us from
the state Dept. of Education but is actually federal funds.    As far as I
can see cost-sharing is required (to show the collaboration of local school
entity and higher ed) but there's no set amount.

We're limited to 8% IDC recovery and can't show any IDC in the cost-share
column.   Our PI wants to show use of a college facility as an in-kind
expense (very nominal amount -- $1000 for 10 days use).   We don't normally
"rent out" this facility and it's obviously part of our IDC which we can't
recover.

Can we show that $1000 as an in-kind match (and plan to document the number
of days use)?    Or in this new climate of cost-share scrutiny, is that
asking for trouble?

Franci Farnsworth

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research