Re: CRADAs Michael Odza 17 Nov 1998 19:20 EST

Cooperative R&D Agreements (CRADAs or CRDAs, depending on the agency) are
intended to be simpler and less burdensome than acquisition-based or
competitively awarded grants or contracts. Normally, companies (not
not-for-profits) are the partners with federal labs, and put up roughly 50%
of the cost of a jointly-conducted project, which may be in salaries or
in-kind expenditures,  with no funds actually changing hands. The intent is
to ease commercialization while advancing some mission-related goal of the
federal lab involved. Intellectual property rights to inventions resulting
from the project must be negotiated, but there is a bias in recent updates
to the laws that favors the company partner. Again, for the benefit of
companies, results of the CRADA research can be protected from FOIA for up
to five years. The Department of Energy has tried hard to develop a standard
CRADA, claiming to have cut the average negotiation time from years to
weeks, although not everyone agrees that they have succeeded.

By the way, I would doubt that CRADAs are the ONLY way any federal or
specifically DOE group can deal, although they may prefer it because they
are easier.

Good places to find out about CRADAs: www.fedlabs.org (the web site of the
Federal Laboratory Consortium for Technology Transfer) and www.nttc.edu
(site of the National Technology Transfer Center).
And you might as well go to the source: www.doe.gov.

Best Regards,
Michael Odza
Publisher, Technology Access Report,
Intellectual Property Advice and other
custom newsletters, and
Consultant
Technology Access
8 Digital Dr., Ste. 250
Novato, CA 94949-5759
800/733-1516 (415/883-7600)
Fax: 415/883-6421
xxxxxx@techaccess.com
xxxxxx@post.harvard.edu
"Concern for man himself and his fate must always
form the chief interest of all technical endeavors,
concern for the great unsolved problems of the
organization of labor and the distribution of
goods--in order that the creations of our mind
shall be a blessing and not a curse to Mankind.
Never forget this in the midst of your diagrams and equations."
--Albert Einstein, 1931 address to Caltech.