Re: intellectual property rights and web syllabi Herbert B. Chermside 13 Nov 1998 11:04 EST

VCU uses the concept of "assigned duty" as one criterion for owning
copyrighted works.   See our policy at
http://www.vcu.edu/ireweb/policies/intprop.htm

This language has served well in the (C) arena for about 15 years (the
copyright language was folded into this policy from an earler time when we
had spearate Patent and (C) policies).  We tried to preclude your coflict
by establishing first what the University owned and leaving the rest to the
faculty members.  We haven't yet had a conflict -- but, if there's $
involved, someday we will!

Chuck

At 10:40 AM 11/13/98 EST, you wrote:
>While not specifically a research administration issue, I am
>posting this to RESADM-L and NCURASE since it concerns
>intellectual property rights in a very broad sense.
>
>Our university's intellectual property rights policy has two
>statements that are beginning to conflict with one another.
>
>1) faculty members retain the rights to notes, graphics, syllabi
>etc which they develop for the classes they teach - I think this
>is the traditional approach to scholarly materials followed by
>most other universities.
>
>2) the university retains the rights to materials developed by
>faculty and staff when these individuals are specficially paid to
>produce such materials.
>
>We have a new program in which faculty receive a stipend to
>produce new (or revise existing) courses that will be offered via
>the internet and the question has been raised as to who owns the
>materials being developed.
>
>I am wondering how other institutions are dealing with this
>issue?
>

>                        Dr. Richard H. Moore
>    Assistant Vice President for Grants and Sponsored Research
>Coastal Carolina University           Internet: xxxxxx@coastal.edu
>P.O. Box 261954                          Voice: 843-349-2050
>Conway SC 29528-6054                       FAX: 843-349-2726
>                   ***NOTE NEW AREA CODE***

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Comonwealth University
PO BOX 980568