Re: A-21 &F&A rates for the life of the spon ag Terry Edwards 11 Nov 1998 18:21 EST

Unfortunately A-133 cover audits and A-110 covers cost accounting principles.
While A-133 does stipulate that F&A costs are to be reviewed under the cognizant
agency, there is also a requirement that the department performing the audit not
be the one with whom the F&A negotiated rate agreement was done.  Therefore, you
a probably open to two different interpretations as to what costs are allowable
and unallowable in F&A rate computation.  Usually the negotiated rate agreement
contains a provision that the rates are estimated and that they may be subject
to correction or renegotiation based upon the actual expenditures incurred.
Furthermore, most agreements contain a clause that requires that the records be
maintained for 3 to 5 years after the project period ends.   Which means that
the grant is not closed out until the final audit has been concluded.  Which
actually leaves the negotiated rates subject to change throughout this period.

Thanks,
Terry Edwards