Re: Standardizing hardware Bob Beattie 11 Nov 1998 10:23 EST

The University of Michigan top policy makers are moving toward
a de facto standardization of PCs by an enterprise-wide implementation
of PeopleSoft products.  Because of the extra work necessary to
use a Mac, and the expense involved (for example, Citrex translators
at $40-50k), the Mac's are being replaced.  Since PeopleSoft
cannot make their systems work on either the Mac or, and perhaps
even more importantly, on the WEB, more and more units at UM
are getting PC's.  For those institutions which are considering
adopting PeopleSoft software, this is a point to keep in mind.
In research administration, they are coming out soon with
the GRANTS system for faculty/staff to use in proposal preparation,
and for central administration to use in proposal and award
data management.  If this were a mandated system, it would be
difficult for people to continue to use Mac's.

Thus, there is more than one way to bring about standardization
of hardware.

Bob
xxxxxx@umich.edu