Re: Standardizing hardware Randall Legeai 11 Nov 1998 09:16 EST

At 06:53 PM 11/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Peter J. Dolce wrote:
>>
>> Our school is considering standardizing computer hardware, including the
>> computers used by faculty members.  One proposal is that we go entirely
>> to PCs and eliminate all Macs.
*** stuff deleted ***
>> Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
>> Office of Research Support Services
>> Meharry Medical College
>
>Peter,
>
>Believe it or not, we are also going thru the same situation. Our
>computer center will not mandate the use of Windows but is getting to
>the point they will not support Macs. I think Mac's are far superior
>functionally. Also, cost lest to administer. We have some that say Mac's
>will not function properly with Oracle package. The University and
>Research Foundation are moving to Oracle web based applications within
>the next 2.5 years.
>--
>Joseph W. Walker, Sr., MA
>Research Foundation of SUNY
>Binghamton University

Joseph:
Last I heard (some months ago), Oracle did not yet have a working grants
administration package for the Mac platform but was presumably working on
it.  As for the Mac's "functional superiority,"  well,  let's just say that
hasn't been my experience in a mixed-platform office.
Randall J. Legeai
Assoc. Director, Institutional Program Development and Gov't/Agency Affairs
Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana 70118, USA
(phn) 504/865-5758 ext. 1846.  (fax) 504/865-5274
<http://www.tulane.edu/~govtaff/rlhome.htm>
<http://www.gnofn.org/nobc/rjlhome.htm>