Re: Standardizing hardware Joe Walker 10 Nov 1998 18:53 EST

Peter J. Dolce wrote:

> Our school is considering standardizing computer hardware, including the
> computers used by faculty members.  One proposal is that we go entirely
> to PCs and eliminate all Macs.  Has anyone tried to standardize faculty
> computers?  Did it work?  What was the response from faculty?   What
> would happen if you restricted or forbid the purchase of Macs?  Would
> like to hear especially from medical schools or research-intensive
> institutions.
> --
> Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
> Office of Research Support Services
> Meharry Medical College
> Nashville, TN  37208
> P (615) 327 6703
> F (615) 327 6716

Peter,

Believe it or not, we are also going thru the same situation. Our
computer center will not mandate the use of Windows but is getting to
the point they will not support Macs. I think Mac's are far superior
functionally. Also, cost lest to administer. We have some that say Mac's
will not function properly with Oracle package. The University and
Research Foundation are moving to Oracle web based applications within
the next 2.5 years.

--
Joseph W. Walker, Sr., MA
Research Foundation of SUNY