Re: Grant Transfer Barbara Gray 05 Nov 1998 16:52 EST

Ruth,

We had a similar situation when a PI left us and we had the extra funds.
After receiving similar written response from NSF about dealing with
these funds, I just authorized the Grants Accounting Office to draw down
the funds and issue a payment of those left-over funds to the new
institution.  We believe that my written instructions, explaining the
reason for the transfer of the balance (the fact that the first was only
an estimate and all expenditures had now been processed), along with the
back-up papers documenting the transfer of the entire project, was
sufficient and provided a clear audit trail.  I saw no need for the new
institution to cut an invoice--they really didn't provide any services
for which to bill that amount of money.  If the old institution doesn't
take the initiative, I think just a letter of request from the new
institution--with perhaps some gentle instructions on how to handle the
situation--should start the ball rolling.

Ruth Tallman wrote:

> I need your help with another transfer question!   This time, we
> had a NSF grant transferred from another institution to Lehigh.
> As you know, the old institution estimates how much will be
> needed for any residual charges, that amount is deducted from
> the current year of funding, and the balance is the amount of the
> grant at the new institution.  In this situation, the old institution
> overestimated how much would be needed to closeout the grant.
> The old institution has more funds available but the grant is no
> longer active there.  I called NSF twice to ask how to handle this
> and was told that was between Lehigh and the old institution.  Using
> a PO, an invoice, or whatever paperwork, the funds should be
> drawn down by the old institution and sent to Lehigh.
>
> Have you ever had to deal with this situation?  What mechanism did
> you use to transfer the residual funds from the old to the new institution?
>
> Your input will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Ruth Tallman
> Lehigh University
> xxxxxx@lehigh.edu
> (610)758-3024

Barbara H. Gray                                     Telephone:  843-953-5673 (Office)
Director of Research and                                           843-953-5885 (Direct)
 Grants Administration                            Fax:  843-953-6577
66 George Street                                    e-mail:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
College of Charleston                              http://www.cofc.edu/~orga
Charleston, SC  29424                           Campus Location:  407G Bell Bldg.