Re: Checking salaries Caskey, William 05 Nov 1998 16:28 EST

As a central office, we also verify salaries (actually most often obtain the
salaries for the investigators to develop the budgets). Since salary
information is confidential, we have a policy (established by Human
Resources) in place that the request must be made by only by designated
persons (I and the Manager of Clinical Trials are authorized) and must be
made via e-mail with the PI, title of proposed project, and potential
sponsor included to provide justification and a record of the query.
Bill

* Bill Caskey, PhD                           *
* Director, Research & Grants Administration *
* The Children's Mercy Hospital              *
* 2401 Gillham Road                          *
* Kansas City, MO  64108                     *
*                                            *
*  Voice:  (816) 234-3879                    *
*    FAX:  (816) 855-1982                    *
* E-mail:  xxxxxx@cmh.edu                   *

From: Peter J. Dolce [mailto:xxxxxx@CCVAX.MMC.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 1998 3:08 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: Checking salaries

An important part of processing grant applications at my school is to
check the salaries listed in the budget to make sure they have not been
overstated or understated.  As the central preaward office, my office
has been handling this responsibility: we call the Human Resources
Office, which has access to employee's actual salaries, and verify
salaries by phone.  How do other preaward offices handle this task?
--
Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
Office of Research Support Services