Re: Sabbatical Support Herbert B. Chermside 23 Sep 1998 12:13 EST

At several institutions I have found that paying sabbatical from a
sponsored program is common, so long as the study leave is spent on
activities in direct support of the funded project for at least the %
effort charged.  Frequently a sabbatical is taken expressly to concentrate
a major effort on the project, or even to work in another lab
learning/teaching different techniques.  Sometimes an additional grant is
sought so 100% effort, and travel, can be added to the ongoing support to
make the sabbatical an even more educational experience.

Chuck

At 10:42 AM 9/23/98 -0500, Petry, Karen M wrote:
>I would be interested in the policies other institutions have in place
>for  sabbatical leave when a faculty member is supported in part through
>a grant/contract.  Specifically, can a faculty member  take a full year
>sabbatical at 1.0 FTE with .5 FTE being paid by the institution as their
>sabbatical salary and .5 FTE being paid by the institution from a
>grant/contract account?
>
>You can respond directly to the list or, if your prefer, to me at the
>e-mail address below.
>
>Karen Petry, Director
>Office of Research Administration
>University of Oklahoma