Re: Internal Approval Forms Ruth Tallman 17 Sep 1998 16:18 EST

-----Original Message-----
From:   Eleanor Cicinsky [SMTP:xxxxxx@VM.TEMPLE.EDU]
Sent:   Thursday, September 17, 1998 3:57 PM
To:     xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject:        Internal Approval Forms

Subject:      Internal Approval Forms for Sponsored Projects

We are in the process of revising our Internal Approval Form.  Several
questions come to mind as we go through this process once again.

 How often do you make changes/modifications to your form?
 Only when needed.  There have been no major changes recently.

 What people are involved in making the decisions for the changes?
Office of Research staff.

 Whose approval is sought in the final version of the form?
 Office of Research staff.

 Do you involve faculty/administrators(outside of Sponsored Projects
 to have input in making the changes in your form?
 No

 Do you include a budget worksheet with your approval form and if you
 do, what purpose does it serve?
We try to include the whole proposal when it's possible.
We require the PI, Co-PI, and department chair's signature on the form
before it is reviewed by our Director and our institutional rep.  The faculty
get their chair's signature so we don't know what the chair usually sees.
For ORSP signature we clip it to the full proposal.

 Finally, when all is said and done, how much success do you have in
 having the faculty complete the form and is it done correctly.?
 In total we are very successful due to the earnest efforts
of our staff.  We have less success getting the form completed and completed
correctly before the proposal goes out.  Because of deadlines, we often have to
complete it and get signatures after the proposal goes out.

Will you submit a proposal at the last minute if the form is not complete?
Yes (reluctantly)

I look forward to your responses.

Eleanor Cicinsky
Temple University