Re: A Modular Proposal Jane A. Youngers 15 Sep 1998 14:38 EST

Regarding the issue of Just in Time budgets and modular grants.  I think we
will need to continue to ask for budgets at some point because in both
instances we will need to develop budgetary categories in order that we
abide by the post-award administration rules such as the 25% over the life
of the award rebudgeting restriction, etc.

I'm not clear that it is correct that NIH will only in rare instances ask
for budget information on modular grants.  I was told at one point (by NIH
officials)  that some more detailed budget information will be required for
all awards, but not to the extent that we furnish it now on RO1s.  So, we
still will have to collect it.

Jane

>Hi-
>
>>Since we still need to construct a budget to get to the >bottom line (the
>only figure NIH wants) we require a >detailed budget as in the past.
>
>  Sorry to resurrect this discussion of a month past, but shouldn't all of
>these "Just-in-Time" questions also be asked of the impending "Modular
>Grants" system?  The difference is that NIH will NEVER (except in rare
>circumstances) ask for the budget details...even when the grant is awarded.
>  I am a novice to fiscal management, but if NIH does not care about
>details like the cost of a trip to a meeting, or the cost of supplies X and
>Y, or whether subjects are paid $10 or $40, then does the institution need
>to know before the actual expenditure?
>  Clearly, a detailed budget is useful in guessing whether grant funds are
>being used appropriately.  But if the PI can come up with a bottom line
>based on estimated modules which looks reasonable (to reviewers) in
>relation to the science, and all personnel and indirect cost questions are
>answered, then why do the absolute details ever need to be PROPOSED?
>Awarded funds are never spent exactly the way the budget reads.  Why not
>let all of the details emerge as money is spent?
>   A grant is not a contract.  How flexible can we be?
>
>Charlie Hathaway
>Office of Grant Support
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>Bronx, NY

Jane A. Youngers
Director
Office of Grants Management
University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
7703 Floyd Curl Drive
San Antonio TX  78284
voice:  210-567-2333
fax: 210-567-2344