Re: Foreign Education vs. Post-Doc Status? Thane Peterson 10 Sep 1998 10:40 EST

David-

I believe your perspective is very accurate.  However, I contract out most of
my visa paperwork through an immigration attorney.

At our institute, we employ both PhD and MD scientists.  We would not recognize
or pay an MD unless they were board certified in this country.

If you would like the name and number of the attorney I use, let me know.

Thane

David R. Fielder wrote:

> A question has arisen regarding the Chinese (mainland) educational
> equivalent of an MD/PhD.  A staff member with a CV listing an "MD
> equivalent" degree from Beijing Medical Univ. Graduate School (Masters in
> Medical Genetics) has been classified as a Post-Doc.  One perspective is
> that in order to be considered a true MD equivalent, the degree must
> entitle one to practice medicine in China and/or be eligible to take the US
> medical boards.
>
> Comments on how degree classifications are handled for employed scientists
> on visas (particularly from China) would be most appreciated.  It may be
> important to note that we classify Post-Docs as regular employees with full
> benefits.
>
> Thanks,  David

> Mr. David R. Fielder                    tel: 415.561.1600
> Vice President, Research                fax: 415.561.1753
> California Pacific Medical Center   email: xxxxxx@cooper.cpmc.org
> Research Institute                 website: http://www.cpmc.org
> 2340 Clay Street,  5th Floor
> San Francisco, CA 94115