Re: Subcontracts on the PHS-398 grant applications Herbert B. Chermside 01 Sep 1998 12:46 EST

Jayne, there are several ways to handle it, but we have found that it is
easiest if the potential subcontractor completes and signs a face page,
budget pagees, and checklist page.  (Their budget page is a detail of your
$XX on the consortium line.)  When we're the sub, we write in the upper
left margin, something like "Proposal to XYZ Univ. as sub under:"

IN ADDITION you'll probably need a letter explicitly stating that the
institutions are aware of NIH's consortium policy and the needs for
contractual relations, etc.  Our "stock" letter also includes the three
main grant certifications, although  they are covered by the 398 checklist.
 I'll send our stock letter upon request; it is a little long, but it
covers things pretty broadly.

Chuck

At 11:47 AM 9/1/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm assisting someone with a NIH grant application (PHS-398) and I
>haven't competed one that includes subcontracts before.  Do I complete a
>face sheet, form dd and ee and budget justification for the subcontract
>separately?
>
>Jayne Hoese, Grants Manager
>Health Research Center, Institute for Research & Education
>HealthSystem Minnesota
>3800 Park Nicollet Blvd
>Minneapolis, MN 55416 (612) 993-2065 fax (612) 993-3741 email
>xxxxxx@hsmnet.com
>

>Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\Subcontracts on the PHS-398 gra"

Herbert B. Chermside, CRA
Virginia Comonwealth University
PO BOX 980568
Richmond, VA  23298-0568