Re: Biomedical funding notification systems Mike McCallister 26 Aug 1998 17:14 EST

>Hi-
>I know the first question has been asked before...just thought I'd check on
>any updates.
>1) Aside from SPIN/SMARTS, Community of Science, FEDIX, and GrantsNet...
>are there any truly remarkable biomedical funding opportunity databases
>and/or automated notification systems out there?

No, these are just about the best.  INFOED is sometimes useful as is IRIS,
but they are all pretty similar.  For biomedical, I'd go with COS.

>2) And, once you have something that you feel works, do your investigators
>use it? In particular, do they prefer submitting a profile for periodic
>announcements OR would they rather do separate independent searches?
>Thanks for all replies.

Independent searches. I've never seen a profile system that really works.
Usually the things that the faculty list are their current (like, today)
interest, not strengths and experiences.  Then faculty also rarely update
their files, so whim and disregard mix together.  Also announcements are
really only good to remind faculty that the wrold is still out there, that
possibilities exist.  Most reserachers have less thatn 10 real funding
prospects outside of business and industry.  The real trick is to get them
to interact with the sponsors themselves.  That's where the money comes
from, the personal relationships with the program officer.

Mike

>Charlie Hathaway
>

>**************************************
>Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D., Director
>Office of Grant Support
>Albert Einstein College of Medicine
>1300 Morris Park Avenue
>Bronx, NY 10461
>Phone: 718 430-3642     Fax: 718 430-8822
>email: xxxxxx@aecom.yu.edu

Mike McCallister, Ph.D.
Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
University of Arkansas at Little Rock
2801 S. University Ave.
Little Rock,  AR 72204-1099
(V) 501-569-8658