Re: Subcontracting Plan Herbert B. Chermside 26 Aug 1998 10:15 EST

Barbara, most of have been faced with this at one time or another.
Your big problem is that you are very unlikely to "subcontract" much of
your award.  "Subcontract" here means any procurement of goods and
services.  Probably about 80-85% of your award is personnel cost and
related F&A.  You'll have to look at where/how you bet supplies, etc.

Our institution requires that all travel go through one of several
contracted travel agencies; all are small, two are disadvantaged samll, and
one is women-owned disadvantaged small.  So, all travel through them
counts.  We have both small and other businesses as office supply sources;
we direct those purchases toward the small.

Your next problem is how to note, record, and be able to report this
politically correct buying.  Go talk to your purchasing people.

There's no complete answer; hope these strategies help.

Chuck

At 01:57 PM 8/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I am currently working on responding to solicitation issued by the US Army
>Engineer District.  The solicitation requires a subcontracting plan which
>demonstrates how goals for Samll Business, Small Disadvantaged Business, and
>Women-Owned Small Business participation will be met.  They do provide
>minimum subcontracting floors.  I was wondering if anyone has had the job of
>puting a plan together and was willing to share their thoughts and findings.
>Thank you all for your time.
>Barbara A. Ferenz
>Assistant Director
>Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>Marquette University
>Phone: (414)288-3637
>Fax:   (414)288-1578
>email: xxxxxx@vms.csd.mu.edu