Re[2]: Regs on data ownership MICHAELP 28 Jul 1998 13:10 EST

If the data/intellectual property was developed under a grant you should also
check out the sponsoring agency's grant conditions.  These conditions do vary
from one agency to another, but often allow the grantee to own the data and
copyrightable materials produced under the grant.  The government generally gets
a royalty free license to use the data.

Michael Pelletier
Grants and Contracts
Education Development Center, Inc.
55 Chapel St.
Newton, MA. 02458-1060
Phone: 617-969-7100, ext. 2227
Fax: 617-969-5979

Subject:    Re: Regs on data ownership
Author: Research Administration Discussion List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>
Date:       7/28/98 12:14 PM

Good afternoon!  Start with:

1.      FAR 52.227-14 Rights in Data - General
 FAR 52.227-14 Rights in Data - Special Works

2.      DFAR 252.227-7013 Rights in Technical Data - Noncommercial
 Items
 DFAR 252.227-7014 Relates to Computer Software

and look at the various campus homepages; many have information
related to this issue.   Good Luck!

Pat

At 11:45 AM 7/28/1998 -0500, Peter J. Dolce wrote:
>Does anyone know of federal regs that pertain to data ownership?  I know
>that universities should promulgate these, but are there federal regs?
>
>--
>Peter J. Dolce, Ph.D., Director
>Office of Research Support Services
>Meharry Medical College
>Nashville, TN  37208
>P (615) 327 6703
>F (615) 327 6716

Patricia A. Conway
Interim Assistant Vice Chancellor for Research
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Reseearch  (M/C 672)
1737 West Polk Street
Chicago, Illinois 60612-7227
Phone 312/996-1961
Fax 312/413-0238