Re: Research Foundations & Implications for Indirect Costs Kim Moreland 27 Jul 1998 17:12 EST

Howie --

I'm not absolutely sure I've followed your questions, but I'll try below:

Kim Moreland, Director
Contract Negotiations & Research Compliances
The University of Kansas
Center for Research, Inc.
785/864-7431 (phone)
785/864-5049 (fax)
email:  xxxxxx@ukans.edu

>>> "Howard M. Kaplan" <xxxxxx@GSVMS2.CC.GASOU.EDU> 07/23 11:43 AM >>>
Hi Kim -

 Thanks for the information.  I am hoping that we will be able to do here
what you are in the process of completing.  I think that your answer is
exactly what I need but - just in case your institution and foundation
follow a different procedure - let me make explicit the detail that
underlies my question.  When we make our Research Foundation the award
recipient, we then "subcontract" the actual effort to the University.

>>>Here's the deal.  We don't subcontract.  We have a master agreement between the University and CRINC (awful name for the foundation) that sets forth all the stipulations, principally that CRINC will manage all sponsored projects for the university.  Here, CRINC has been in existence for 30 years, but was confined to engineering.  We modified the original agreement.  And, CRINC has the same IDC rate as KU -- that's always been a stipulation in our agreement.

We did check with HHS when we began to move projects, but they had no problem.  The foundation is just an administrativie arm -- a controlled affiliate here -- the university.  All the faculty and facilities of the University still have to be covered with an F&A rate, because conceptually, the foundation and the university are one big entity that have divided up the research functions.

With
other subawards, the University would get its negotiated Indirect Costs.
When the University "waives" its Indirect Costs, are we, in essence,
telling our cognizant agency that we really don't need any F&A support in
order to maintain our research infrastructure?  If your institution has not
run into any attempts by its cognizant agency to reduce the university's
F&A rate, that would remove any of my administration's concerns.

>>>The costs of managing and performing research are still basically the same as before.  Your foundation has to have the resources of the university to function.  When we "waive" IDC, we're not sayiing that we don't have costs, just that in this particular instance, we're willing to cover the costs from other sources, namely from the university and the foundation.

Let me know if I've missed the point!

Kim
 Thanks again.

Best regards,
Howie

At 04:51 PM 7/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Howie --
>
>We began the process of moving all sponsored projects from the University
to our foundation in July 1997.  For us, the IDC follows the grant.  That
is, the grants that are still in transition and have not moved to the
foundation earn IDC that is given to the university by the sponsor.  The
university can do with it what it chooses.  The grants that have made the
transition -- which takes a while! -- and are in the foundation have their
IDC on deposit with the foundation.

>We have had no problems with that particular aspect.  If you want more
information, please give me a call.  This has NOT been a simple process.