Re: State Indirect Cost Rates Herbert B. Chermside 24 Jul 1998 13:18 EST

VCU has a lot of interaction with state agencies.  There is no useful
statewide policy regarding indirect recovery from state agencies.  The
state Comptroller set out some rules that essentially allow recoivery of
full indirect, but do not require it, and state agencies refuse to pay any,
or most, of the rate.  That leaves the dilema of acceptance of a low rate;
senior executives here are willing to accept whatever we can get.

To change this would require the concerted effort of 5 or 6
major/influential institutions in the state, and this subject is low on the
"lets cooperate to get..." agendas of said executives.

Occasionally, we get to provide a sub-award proposal before the total
proposal goes in from a state agency to a federal sponsor; then we usually
manage to get full indirect (unless program requires lots of cost sharing).
 Much more typically, however, state agencies just assume that indirect
costs are not "in direct support of the program", and refused.

Chuck

At 12:31 PM 7/24/98 +0000, you wrote:
>The Question(s):
>
>Do your State Agencies allow your institution to recover indirect
>costs for projects under their sponsorship?   Can you recover your
>full negotiated rate?  If not , what is the rate they allow?
>
>This has become an issue in Florida. We are only allowed 5% of TDC in
>these instances.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jerry
>

>Gerald N. Goldberger, Ph.D.