Re: Students Janet Hahn 21 Jul 1998 10:06 EST

Suzette S. Mauney wrote:
> I have a few questions for anyone out there that might have
> had some experience with helping students apply for grants.
> I have had a couple of undergraduate and graduate students
> that have requested my help in searching for funding
> opportunities.  Can anyone give me some examples of what
> your office structure allows?  My most recent example
> includes a returning undergraduate (returning to pursue a
> second degree) that is seeking support to research
> "A Professional Development Program for Teachers," in
> Guadalajara. He has put together a proposal but, our
> university requires students to have a mentor/professor to
> support their research. We require the professor to become
> the PI. Questions that I have are:  What process does your
> office take in this situation?  What advice do you give to
> the student? The student, of course, does not have the
> credentials to apply to most agencies. Have you had a
> professor apply for a grant in support of the student
> carrying out his research?  Thanks for any input.
> ----------------------
> Suzette S. Mauney
> Appalachian State University
> Assistant Director, Sponsored Programs
> (704)262-2694*fax(704)262-2709
> xxxxxx@appstate.edu
*******
Suzette, Here, a professor can apply for a grant that includes the
student as part of the project.  At our institution, we also allow a
student to be a co-PI.  At least one PI must be someone with a
continuing appointment at the university.  It would depend on the grant
program, project, individuals.
Janet
--
Janet M. Hahn