Re: Intellectual Property expenses Diana Demers 14 Jul 1998 07:40 EST

Charles, I did a summary of institutions who have posted their Intellectual
Property policies on the NCURA web page. It gave a good ballpark. I'll send
that summary to you directly, but wanted to ask those institutions and
others how the institutional share is split. The policies indicate that
between 50% and 70% of revenue after expenses went to the institution. How
much goes to a research fund, the college, the general fund, etc?  Thanks.

At 11:41 AM 7/13/98 MST, you wrote:
>Greetings all-
>
>We are in the process of reviewing the Intellectual Property Policies
>at the University of Northern Colorado. Although we are considering
>all issues related to copyright and ownership by faculty/university,
>we will be especially examining the current concerns about works set
>in electronic media.
>
>One issue that keeps coming up from our faculty representatives is
>money.  They have raised questions about development costs and about
>splitting the proceeds once co-ownership has been established.
>
>I would appreciate input from those who can give us some insight as
>well as facts and figures about:
>
>1. Who pays for the development/marketing costs?  Faculty?
>University?  Shared?  If shared, what kind of formula?
>
>2. What is the split of net royalties/profits between the faculty
>member and the university?  Please give percentages or your formula?
>When does the split kick in?  After development expenses?  After
>subtraction of ongoing marketing expenses?
>
>Any information you can give us about the money issues would be
>helpful.  You can reply on line or to me directly.  I'll post a
>summary later.
>
>Chuck Howard
>University of Northern Colorado Research Corporation
>xxxxxx@uncrc.unco.edu

Diana Demers
Grant and Contract Administrator
Keene State College