Re: Ordering equipment Herbert B. Chermside 09 Jul 1998 13:43 EST

A couple of people have noted the 90 day pre-award approval NSF has built
into its regs.  But another matter to consider is WHAT DO YOU MEASURE?  For
some institutions, the RECEIVE DATE is what you measure to determine
time-factor allowability (i.e., it must be procured within the grant period
and any pre-award period allowed to be allowable to that grant.)  Check
with your accountants on that.

Chuck

At 01:16 PM 7/9/98 -0400, you wrote:
>This is probably a fairly basic question but I can't seem to see a clear
>answer in the NSF GPM:
>
>If we've submitted a proposal to NSF for a piece of equipment which has a
>long ordering time can we place the order before we find out whether we're
>getting the grant (and accept the consequences if we don't get the grant)?
>Or must we wait before placing an order until we actually know that we're
>getting the grant?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Frances Vinal Farnsworth
>Coordinator of Sponsored Research