(no subject) Lisa F. Richman Ballance 11 May 1998 15:04 EST

For something inexpensive and maily pre-award:

GrantManager

Find out if your finance office uses Banner.  The pre-award grant module
for Banner is an interesting, simple tool.

Last I heard, both InfoEd and RAMS-FIE sold pre-award versions of their
systems (I think 3 modules, rather than the entire system).

Also Virginia Commonwealth University built a system in Access that was/is
pre-award.  They are moving on, eventually, to a system that links with
post-award (but the person who developed the system put a lot of work into
it and has explored passing it on to other universities for a small fee).
The great thing about Access is it is self-maintainable. 804/828-6772 Call
Betty Browder!

Good luck!
At 10:14 AM 5/11/98 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello all:
>
>I'm new to the mailing list and have a quick question.
>
>I'm with the Cal State L.A. Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
>and we are looking for a pre-award database that 1) eliminates query
>time, 2) is user friendly, and 3) can eventually export data to a
>post-award system.  Our pre-award and post-award offices are separate.
>Pre-award is governed by the state and the other is governed by a
>foundation.  At this time we cannot consider a database that includes
>both pre and post award functions: we need only pre-award.  Does anyone
>know of a database that might meet our needs?  I've already looked at
>InfoEd and RAM-FIE systems and they are either too comprehensive (they
>include both pre and post award functions) or too expensive.  I've also
>written Oracle and they haven't finished developing their pre-award
>module yet.
>
>Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
>Keith M. Baker
>Office of Research & Sponsored Programs
>Cal State L.A.
>(213) 343-5366/ Fax: (213) 343-6430