Re: internal approvals Farnsworth, Franci 05 May 1998 07:45 EST

We don't have a prior approval process, but I do encourage faculty to
submit draft budgets to me as early as possible.   As noted in another
reply, most institutional concerns are obvious from the budget so it's
an effective way of making sure that the proper people are aware of
what's going on.     I also will take email "signatures" for our
internal endorsement form in order to get a proposal out on time --
picking up the actual signature later.

Our ability to be flexible is probably due to our small operation -- I
only process about 50 proposals a year.   We don't mail the proposals
and we allow faculty to keep revising the proposal text after the
official sign-offs (but not the budget, budget justification, or any
statements about commitments) so faculty have been fairly good at
getting proposals into the signature process about a week before the
deadline (our stated policy is two weeks but we can usually do it in two
days).     I always check the copy of the submitted proposal to make
sure that it's the same budget that we approved.

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Coordinator of Sponsored Research
MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
Forest Hall