Re: Dedicated Grants Development Efforts -Reply -Reply Rowlands, Leigh Ann 23 Apr 1998 12:25 EST

 You wrote:
 I find this an interesting interpretation of my posting.  I didn't
think
 the question had to do with assisting faculty in all the ways herein
 described.  I thought it had to do with dedicated grant writers, or
 "hired guns".
Betty

Speaking for "hired guns" everywhere, let me say that at times our services
are indeed needed.  As others have already mentioned, it is possible for
very talented researchers to be less than stellar written communicators.
Many reasons can be sited, including language barriers.  America attracts
the top-notch faculty members from all over the world. The services of a
dedicated grant writer can greatly benefit those for whom English is a
second or third language.

While language deficiencies contribute to the growing number of grant
writers, I believe that the overwhelming reason for our existence is time -
or rather the lack of it.  Health professionals, in particular, are
hard-pressed these days to accomplish everything that is expected of them.
Between clinical, research and administrative duties, few have the time to
pursue grant funding.  Having a designated grant writer on staff encourages
faculty members to pursue research and service activities that they
otherwise might have forgone.

Leigh Ann Rowlands, MPA
Center for Health Promotion & Wellness
Department of Pediatrics