Re: Dedicated Grants Development Efforts Sue Unruhe 22 Apr 1998 16:26 EST

I pretty much agree with this assessment.  The investigators have to write
up their work for journals, etc.  A grant app isn't that much different.
Duke does periodically hold writing classes for different disciplines
geared towards grant writing and publications.  Most departments put
together a team to produce the boilerplate on the grant applications so the
investigators can focus on the more scholarly stuff.  Probably the thing
which is most helpful to beginning grant writers (post docs and junior
faculty) is the active involvement of senior faculty in their discipline in
the grant writing process.  Sometimes that happens and sometimes it
doesn't.  The leaders of your institution can help by encouraging senior
faculty to help in this way.