Re: Dedicated Grants Development Efforts Farbman, Betty 22 Apr 1998 14:41 EST

I applaud your institute for asking these questions.  As usual, I think
the answers will be very specific to your institution.
Overall, I believe in the "if you can't write it, you can't do it"
philosophy.  While a grants person (writer or facilitator, whatever you
call it) can pull together pieces, do boilerplate on institutional
resources, or do editing, a PI or PD should be the one doing the
writing.  S/he will have to run the program if it's funded.
For large institutional proposals, you may want to work with a grant
writer/consultant.  While individuals still need to contribute their
pieces, it is useful to have that expert perspective, and it keeps
people on target.
If you'd like to discuss, I'm at 212-678-4106
Betty Farbman
Teachers College