Re: adobe question Rosemary Ruff 23 Mar 1998 12:44 EST

List members -

I have received duplicate questions from so many of the list that it
seemed easiest to answer the most common ones via the list.  For those of
you who don't need this information, my apologies.  The first question
is:

> Rosemary,
>
> Can you give me a little more information? I have downloaded pdf files from
> NIH, etc. which have to be printed and then completed on the typewriter
> (same problem Glenn mentioned). We have Adobe Exchange, but when I have the
> file open all I see is a hand, and I'm not able to click into a field to
> change data. It sounds like you have been able to do this, so what am I
> doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Winnie Ennenga
>

> Wilma G. (Winnie) Ennenga
> Grant and Contract Administrator
> Office of Grant and Contract Services
> Northern Arizona University

Winnie:

You need to insert form fields in the form prior to using it.  To do this,
locate the form tool (pointing your mouse at each button, or right
clicking on a button in some cases, should give you a help box which shows
the function of that button) on the button bar and "draw" a field of the
appropriate size and shape where you will be placing information.  When
you have drawn the box a menu box will appear which requires you to name
the field and then lets you choose the type of field (e.g., check-box,
text, list, combo), choose font attributes, and add actions (like opening
another application, playing a sound or video clip, etc).  There are also
some security,printing, and other options available.

A hint - sometimes it is useful to make the default text in a form field
instructions for completing the field - for example on the NIH cover page,
Box 1, Title - the default text could be "Insert Project Title.  Limit is
80 characters, 12 point font."  Also, you may want to protect some fields
which have "real" default information so that they cannot be changed
inadvertently - your DUNS number, Organization Name, Authorized
Institutional Representative, etc.

Once you have inserted all of the necessary field, save the file -
renaming it if you prefer.  The file can then be completed using Adobe
Acrobat Reader (provided, of course, that the person completing it has a
version of Acrobat Reader compatible with the Version of Exchange with
which the form was created.

Rosemary

Rosemary H. Ruff                   VOICE: 334-844-4438
Assistant Director                 FAX:   334-844-5953
Contracts & Grants Administration  EMAIL: xxxxxx@mail.auburn.edu
Auburn University, AL 36849-5131
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et
fructuosis potiri potes!