Re: United Soybean Board Kaaren J. Downey 19 Mar 1998 18:16 EST

Add Washington University to your list of those who would not agree to the
terms you've outlined either.

Kaaren Downey

At 11:29 AM 3/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Cornell would not agree to such terms either.
>
>>Cal Poly has never requested funding from the Soybean Board, but we would
>>not accept an agreement/contract from ANY sponsor which contained
>>some of the points you listed.
>>
>>Sharon

-----
>>Sharon Kuhlenschmidt
>>Grants Development Office
>>California Polytechnic State University
>>San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
>>PHONE:  (805)756-2982
>>FAX:    (805)756-5466
>>EMAIL:  xxxxxx@calpoly.edu
-----

>>On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Martha M. Taylor wrote:
>>
>>> I am interested talking to in anyone who has sucessfully negotiated an
>>> agreement with the United Soybean Board.  Our one and only experience to
>>> date took several months.  The United Soybean Board used an intermediate
>>> firm - Smith, Bucklin and Associates, LLC to contract with us based upon
>>> some agreement that they have with the Soybean Board.
>>>
>>> The agreement contained the standard things that universities generally
>>> don't like:
>>>
>>> 1) prior approval of all publications including presentations at
>>> conferences/national meetings
>>> 2) very detailed documentation of all expenditures
>>> 3) no overhead, no PI salary, and no equipment
>>> 4) no budget reallocations or deviations without prior written approval
>>> 5) liability for all claims etc arising in whole or in part by acts or
>>> omissions of the university
>>> 6) Smith Bucklin will only pay us if the Soybean Board pays them first and
>>> if the Soybean Board doesn't pay then we are out on our own
>>> 7) Agreement governed and construed in accordance with the laws of a state
>>> other than the one in which we are incorporated
>>> 8) non-exclusive, irrevocable, paid-up license to practice or use or
>>> sublicense the discoveries ..... They get all rights to revenues or
>>> benefits arising from licenses that we enter into with third parties with
>>> 50% of the income coming back to them
>>>
>>> It goes on from there.
>>>
>>> The basis for my question to this group is a phone call I received from a
>>> department head who stated that we are being unreasonable and that other
>>> universities would surely agree to work with the Soybean Board in a more
>>> reasonable and timely fashion.  He suggested that I poll other
institutions
>>> to get a better understanding of how to do my job.  So that is what I am
>>> doing.  I would like to know of successes with the Soybean Board and of
>>> institutions who would agree to the language provided above.  Thanks for
>>> any enlightenment you might provide.

>>> Martha M. Taylor,   Director               (334) 844-4438
>>> Contracts and Grants Administration         FAX (334) 844-5953
>>> 310 Samford Hall
>>> Auburn University,  AL  36849-5131
>>> xxxxxx@mail.auburn.edu
>>>

>Amy Henderson-Harr
>Sr. Grant & Contract Officer
>Office of Sponsored Programs
>120 Day Hall
>Cornell University
>Ithaca, NY  14853
>email: xxxxxx@cornell.edu
>(607) 255-6306 (phone)
>(607) 255-5058 (fax)

////////
Kaaren J. Downey                PHONE:  (314) 747-0926
Assistant Director              FAX:          (314) 362-5872
Sponsored Projects Services
Washington University
Medical Campus Research Office
660 South Euclid Ave.