Re: Year 2000 Compliance Higginson, David A 14 Mar 1998 10:15 EST

We have been going through the yr 2000 process and identifying equipment
that will need to be replaced, retired, or updated in order to handle the yr
2000 issue. The interesting issue to me is who should carry the burden of
making a piece of research equipment yr 2000 compliant. If it was bought
using federal funds from an award that will still be active on 1/1/2000
should the it be charged to the award, or picked up by the institute? Is
this an allowable expense for the indirect cost calculation? Also, should
you capitalize such an expense based on the fact that value is being added
that will last for x years, or do you treat it like a repair and expense it
?

-David

David Higginson, ACMA
Administrative Director
Arkansas Children's Hospital Research Institute
Tel: (501) 320-3757
Fax: (501) 320-3547
Email : xxxxxx@exchange.uams.edu
WWW : http://achri.ach.uams.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Suzanne Huard [mailto:xxxxxx@UNHN.UNH.EDU]
Sent: Friday, March 13, 1998 6:11 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject: Year 2000 Compliance

 Those of us at UNH involved with administrative computer systems have been
 hard at work ferreting out and fixing computer issues relating to the year
 2000 and feel that we are in pretty good shape wrt administrative
computing.
 We are somewhat concerned about broader implications associated with
research
 activity itself, and particularly with our obligations for sponsored
research
 as outlined in NSF Special Notice No. 120
 (http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/1997/iin120/iin120.htm). As the document
outlines,
 the danger could be lurking in electronic devices, laboratory equipment,
 software running on mainframes or on individual work stations, etc.

 What, if anything, have you done to assure that sponsored research
activities
 and deliverables will not be adversely affected by the year 2000.  Who has
 been leading the charge on this issue?  Faculty advisory groups?
Sponsored
 research office?  VP for Research?  VP for InfoSystems/Technology?  Do you
 have an insitutional plan/checklist for addressing Year 200 compliance?
(If
 so, and if it is available on the web, the URL would be most welcome).

  Suzanne Huard
  Mgr, Information Systems & Technology              Tel:   603-862-2005
  Office of Sponsored Research                       Fax:   603-862-3564
  University of New Hampshire
  Durham, NH  03824                      E-Mail:   xxxxxx@unh.edu