Re: Internal Proposal Submission deadline survey Vicki Lewis McGarvey 28 Feb 1998 17:59 EST

Bill-

Your response overlooks a key parameter outside the controls of the
research administrator - sponsor imposed deadlines.  Additionally, your
comments minimize the necessary and value added step of institutional
review.  Applying technology that uses a rules-based workflow application
for proposal development and submission would move us toward "anytime,
anyplace" service.

Until such time that 1) sponsors move toward "anytime, anyplace" deadlines;
2) institutions allow faculty to submit grants directly to sponsors without
institutional certification; 3) and a fully integrated user-friendly
software application is developed and complimentary infrastructure is in
place, internal institutional deadlines are necessary.

-Paul
E. Paul Weidner
e-mail: xxxxxx@mail.med.upenn.edu