Re: Internal Proposal Submission deadline survey -Reply -Reply -Reply Peter G. Weber, Jr. 26 Feb 1998 10:07 EST

--------------0F9CFCCDD213D1BB90283E22

After reading the responses I think a key word is "fiduciary" in response
to last minute proposals.  Here at UNM I process the proposals for our
Centers, Insitutes, Branch campus as well as our Supercomputing Center in
Maui, HI, from $15K to $5M proposals.  Most are submitted on time and
properly prepared, however I have received last minute or after the fact
proposals.  Dependent upon the situation most can be resolved with a
minimum of heartburn.  The small number in the past year (maybe 5 or 6)
resulted in either the proposal not being processed or an agency being
notified that the proposal they had received did not have University
approval.  For the PI(s) involved I explained to them that as a state
institution my fiduciary responsiblity is to the University as a whole and
I will not waive that responsiblity.  Key to this is having a supervisor
who supports my position as well as our Associate Provost for Research.

P.S.  Being a retired USAF CMSgt doesn't hurt when dealing with the 1% of
PIs who just don't get it.

Cheers

--
Peter G. Weber, Jr.,
Contracts & Grants Administrator

--------------0F9CFCCDD213D1BB90283E22

begin:          vcard
fn:             Peter G. Weber, Jr.
n:              Weber, Jr.;Peter G.
org:            University of New Mexico
adr:            Scholes Hall - 102;;;Albuquerque;New Mexico;87131;USA
email;internet: xxxxxx@unm.edu
title:          Contracts & Grants Administrator
tel;work:       (505) 277-7575
tel;fax:        (505) 277-4596
note:           CMSgt USAF (Retired)
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0