Utopian Proposal Submission deadlines Charles Hathaway 26 Feb 1998 11:32 EST

Marcia-
IF your aim is "to further the success of our investigators" you should
somehow preach that proposals completed at the last minute are seldom in
optimal shape.  When competition for funding is so intense, when reviewers
are unpaid human beings who might be reading a proposal at 2 AM, when the
slightest grammatical error or failure to follow guidelines or misuse of
words (not to mention serious errors in a budget or research plan) can
influence a reviewer's decimal point priority score decision, when giving a
colleague (or 2?) a couple of weeks to review one's application can often
substitute for one NIH cycle's study section review....WHY NOT do what it
REALLY takes to get funded?

What succeeds in science is not the best idea but the best DEFENDED idea.
 The same principle applies to grant applications.  Encourage people to
take the time to defend their applications from unnecessary criticism and
you just might make "a difference to the career of the investigator, the
 status of the institution, or to the world at large".

Charlie Hathaway
Research Foundation for Mental Hygiene, Inc.
New York State Psychiatric Institute
NYC