Lines in the Sand Jerry Goldberger/Director - DSR 26 Feb 1998 09:09 EST

Sorry Bill, I disagree.  My office certainly does put up with
occasional emergencies..like every other sponsored program
office..but somehow we always tend to see the same individuals having
emergencies at the last minute the day before the deadline. Guess
what, this last minute proposal has an incorrect budget, is not
formatted according to agency guidelines...and he/she is gone,
tending to his/her "emergency"--and we usually cannot get in touch
with his/her Chair or Dean---and this is not the first time this
faculty member has done this to us.  Anyplace/Anytime has its
limits..next time I refuse to sign this faculty member's proposal.

Jerry

Gerald N. Goldberger, Ph.D.
Director, Division of Sponsored Research
Florida Atlantic University
Boca Raton, FL 33433
xxxxxx@fau.edu

Date: Wed, 25 Feb 1998 13:13:05 -0500
From: Bill Kirby <xxxxxx@POSTOFFICE.WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
From: Research Administration Discussion Group <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
Subject: Re: Internal Proposal Submission deadline survey -Reply -Reply
Sender: Research Administration Discussion Group <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L <xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us>

I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. Seems like many
institutions try to enforce deadline limits, with predictable results. I
know this will provoke a firestorm: Why is it that when every other
"business" that I can think of is trying to move toward "anytime, anyplace"
service in order"business" that I can think of is trying to move toward
 "anytime, anyplace"
service in order to stay competitive, some research administrators are
trying to "draw lines in the sand"? I realize proposals are not anything
like sending flowers at the last moment, but come on folks... Is this the
way to add value to the process?

Bill Kirby
xxxxxx@worldnet.att.net