Re: College Students as Human Subjects Marsha Green 12 Feb 1998 18:17 EST

--------------- cc:Mail Forwarded ---------------
From:     xxxxxx@selway.umt.edu (Tim Stratton) AT UNLV
Date:     02/12/98 10:53 PM
To:       "MCW Institutional Review Board Forum" <xxxxxx@post.its.mcw.edu>
 AT UNLV
Subject:  Re: College Students as Human Subjects

 Forwarding...mg

______________________________ Forward Header _____________________________
_____
Author:  xxxxxx@selway.umt.edu (Tim Stratton) at UNLV
Date:    2/12/98 10:53 PM

>We periodically have requests from outside researchers to come to our
>campus to recruit our students (usually through posters or informational
>handouts) as study participants for both behavioral and clinical
>studies.  These studies have already been approved by another
>IRB--perhaps at a nearby institution, but sometimes by distant,
>unfamiliar IRBs.  I would like to hear from other institutions about
>procedures you have in place to handle these kinds of requests.
>(1) Who gives permission to the outside researcher to recruit on your
>campus?
     Although we have not had much experience with this, on a recent
regional drug trial our IRB required that we review the protocol as campus
facilities (our Student Health Service) were being asked to assist in
subject recruitment.  The project had already been approved by a
free-standing IRB in our region; however, we found that the consent forms
as submitted were inadequate for use with our student population.  A little
embellishment of some details in the consent form was all that was
necessary.
Timothy P. Stratton, Ph.D., R.Ph.
Associate Professor of Pharmacy Administration
School of Pharmacy & Allied Health Sciences
The University of Montana, Missoula
406-243-2339
e-mail:  xxxxxx@selway.umt.edu