Re: Use of Students Marsha Green 12 Feb 1998 13:36 EST

--------------- cc:Mail Forwarded ---------------
From:     L J Wittmann Kirsch <xxxxxx@csd.uwm.edu> AT UNLV
Date:     02/12/98 06:23 PM
To:       "MCW Institutional Review Board Forum" <xxxxxx@post.its.mcw.edu>
 AT UNLV
Subject:  Re: Two PI or not Two PI

 Forwarding....mg

At UWM the largest bulk of the research we do is Social Science and
Behavioral research.  We are frequently approached by outside researchers
to use our students as subjects.  We have a recommended policy in place
for "survey research" (usually exempt) which forms the bulk of the
requests.  We have taken the position that these studies are using our
students as a "subject pool" and we are not required to certify their
review.  We recommend the following:
1.   That the investigator contact a UWM Dept. (Enrollment Services
     etc.) or the IRB directly and request permission to obtain names
     of subjects and mailing lists.
2.   The UWM Dept. notifies the IRB of the "Request to do Research"
     and forwards a copy of the request and the UWM deparmental action
     pending IRB Office approval.
3.   The Researcher is required to provide a copy of the approval
     letter/form from the Sponsoring Institutions' IRB, submit a copy
     of the approved protocol, and submit an approval lettter from the
     UWM sponsoring dept.
4.   When all materials are submitted the IRB coordinator and/or the
     IRB chair review and notify the researcher that he/she may begin
     subject recruitment.
With regard to the liability question our institution is a state agency
and self insured.  Only our employees and agents are covered for liability
under state statute.  We would not consider unafilliated researchers our
agents.  Hope this helps!
Linda Wittmann-Kirsch, IRB Coordinator/Risk Manager
UWM Dept. of Env. Health, Safety & Risk Management
414-229-5079
xxxxxx@csd.uwm.edu