Re: Signature Authority Joyce McAlexander 02 Feb 1998 14:04 EST

The Sponsored Programs Office at our institution is responsible for the
post-award administration.  This includes monitoring, reporting and
transaction review.  All paperwork regarding expenditures towards a grant
runs through our office prior to submitting to the Business Office for
processing.  The types of transactions that either originate from our
office or involve review include:  Personnel and Consultants, Purchasing
(including equipment) and Accounts Payable, Travel, and Subcontracting.
 It's true, at times, that we're not always the most popular with the
faculty, but many appreciate the assistance.

Joyce McAlexander
Sponsored Programs Dept
Cal Poly State University Foundation
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Phone:  (805) 756-5730
Fax:  (805) 756-5588
E-mail:  xxxxxx@calpoly.edu

 ----------
From:  resadm-l[SMTP:xxxxxx@health.state.ny.us]
Sent:  Friday, January 30, 1998 6:05 PM
To:  Multiple recipients of list RESADM-L
Subject:  Re: Signature Authority

These kinds of transactions are not approved by anyone else at our
institution.   We don't have the staff, nor does the Controller's
office, to do this kind of checking on every little transaction on our
grants.  We are a small institution--so there's no such thing as
departmental administration for grants and contracts here.  To compound
our problems, our fiscal system has never been programmed to flag
transactions that will push a major line item--or even the bottom
line--into the red, so these things just get entered.  The result:  We
(Sponsored Programs) end up troubleshooting lots of these cases and our
grants accountant ends up moving expenditures around -- and we have a
lot of last minute rebudgeting going on.  This situation makes me
reather nervous, especially as our volume continues to grow (we're at $4
million now), but the fiscal side of the house doesn't seem terribly
concerned.

At my previous institution, staff in the grants accounting office
checked every hire form, purchase requisition, and travel request and
signed off before final processing.  If there weren't enough funds in
the correct line, the PI would be informed and would have to rebudget
before the transaction would go through.  It took longer--some PIs got
pretty ugly about the "red tape" at times, but, of course these were the
ones who were notorious for being great researchers but poor money
managers.

IMHO, someone who understands that major line items and the bottom line
should never go significantly in the red needs to have the
responsibility for checking and approving these requests before they get
to Human Resources, Procurement, or Accounts payable.

I would be interested in a summary of responses--getting our fiscal
system to flag problem transactions is something that we eventually will
need to request, and every little bit of "ammunition" from other
institutions helps!

Barbara H. Gray                              Telephone:  803-953-5673
Director of Sponsored Programs       Fax: 803-953-6577
College of Charleston                       email:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
Charleston, SC  29424                     http://www.cofc.edu/~osp
(Location:  407G Bell Building)