Re: Need Help with Funding Source Carol Sottosanti 06 Jan 1998 09:54 EST

Barbara Gray wrote:

> I have a faculty member who is looking for money to host a scholarly
> conference on Portuguese/Atlantic history (including trade routes,
> migration, relations with Asia, etc.).  He is also looking for funds for
> a similar conference on Haitian/Atlantic history and specifically the
> impact of the Haitian Revolution on the Atlantic World.    After many
> searches using standard means (govt. databases, SPIN, COS, etc.), we
> have come up dry.  (We currently have a request pending with NEH for the
> Haitian conference and were denied by Tinker Foundation for the
> Portuguese conference.)
>
> Can anyone out there give me some other suggestions of possible domestic
> or international sponsors that don't show up on the usual databases?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> <<<<>>>><<<<>>>><<<<>>>><<<<>>>><<<<>>>><<<<>>>>
> Barbara H. Gray                                    Telephone:
> 803-953-5673
> Director of Sponsored Programs       Fax: 803-953-6577
> College of Charleston                          email:  xxxxxx@cofc.edu
> Charleston, SC  29424                          http://www.cofc.edu/~osp
> (Location:  407G Bell Building)
Barbara,
    Why don't you try the Portuguese equivalent of NSF called Jinct(I
think that's the spelling and it is pronounced ja nicked.  There is also
an agency called "Flad or Fladd".  These are the agencies in Portugal
who are interested in furthering education and research with the US and
other countries.  Good luck.
Carol Sottosanti-Lehigh University   xxxxxx@Lehigh.edu